Robson Forensic, Inc.
2005 to present
Provide technical investigations, analysis, reports, and testimony toward the resolution of litigation involving construction, construction management, estimating and scheduling, delay claims, construction and premises safety and injuries, quality control and quality assurance, and other civil engineering issues in the commercial, heavy highway, industrial, military, recreational and residential construction industries.
2003 to 2009
Provided construction management services to Metra and the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) for the construction of bridges, railroad stations, parking lots and platforms. Also managed remodeling and tenant buildout. Provided quality control services for the Department of Aviation at O’Hare and Midway Airports.
Harry O. Hefter – Associates, Inc.
2002 to 2003
Provided construction management services for the Chicago Department of Transportation for the reconstruction of the Chicago Skyway toll bridge.
Weis Builders, Inc.
2000 to 2001
Supervised all field activities for construction of Belmont Village assisted living project. Project included 156 units in 120,000 SF facility.
Bovis Lend Lease, Inc.
1997 to 2000
Provided supervision and construction management services for the Church Street Plaza in Evanston, IL. Project consisted of 180,000 SF of core & shell construction with 18 movie theaters and included tenant buildout of theater space and several retail stores. Managed extensive renovations and additions to Libertyville High School. Supervised construction of Navy Pier Shakespeare Theater in Chicago, a $20M state of the art theater facility. Provided construction management field supervision of 122,000 SF Viking Middle School in Gurnee, IL.
Professional Engineering Services Corp.
1990 to 2009
Performed over 100 real estate inspections. Inspected high-end residential and multi- residential properties under construction on behalf of lending institutions. Provided construction management services to home owners on new residential construction. Performed topographic surveys and prepared grading and drainage plans for residential and commercial clients.
Blinderman Construction Company, Inc.
1989 to 1997
Quality Control Manager
Provided quality management on projects for the Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Navy and the Chicago Transit Authority. Projects included conversion of military Buildings into training facilities, construction of an interdenominational chapel and a hotel as well as new rapid transit stations
Managed field activities for renovations to Soldier Field stadium to prepare for World Cup soccer matches. Supervised phased reconstruction of two Metra railroad bridges in Oak Forest, IL.
Senior and staff level estimator on numerous public works projects including new buildings, remodeling projects and rapid transit work.
James McHugh Construction Co
1984 to 1989
Provided field engineering, layout, and management of trades for the construction of the Arlington Park International Racecourse, a horse-racing facility with seven story clubhouse, grandstand seating and several outbuildings. Provided similar services for fast-track construction of $325 million McCormick Place Convention Center north building.
Quality Control Manager
Performed and coordinated inspections and testing for Brandon Road Lock and Dam Rehabilitation in Joliet, IL for the Army Corps of Engineers.
Ben Hur Construction Company
1981 to 1983
Asst. Project Manager
Provided layout, documentation, engineering, sequencing and field management for erection of structural steel, miscellaneous metals and precast concrete. Projects included General Motors Assembly Plant in Wentzville, MO, KILnGAS Coal Gasification plant in East Alton, IL, bridge repairs, and tower inspections.
Kansas Department of Transportation
Civil Engineer I
1979 to 1980
Completed one-year rotational training program in road and bridge design, transportation planning and construction. Performed material testing and quantity documentation for construction of Interstate 435 west of Kansas City.
B.S., Civil Engineering, Washington University, St. Louis, 1979
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Construction Institute Summit, March 2023
- The Safety of Rebar Cages by Using Innovative Connectors
- Temporary Works in Steel Truss Bridge Dismantling
- Missouri DOT unique projects in the St. Louis area
- Challenges with Movable Bridge Demolition
- Accelerated Bridge Construction Techniques for the Long Island Railroad Expansion Project
- Highway 417 Rapid Bridge Replacement in Ottawa
- Marine Cofferdams: Considerations in Construction and Design
- Designing with the Shop and Field in Mind
- Ethical Issues in Prevention through Design
- Managing Risk Associated with Utility Infrastructure and Development of New Utility Infrastructure Standards
- Merchant’s Bridge Truss Planning & Construction
- Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls in Failure Investigations, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2022
- What DfMA Means to the Future of Construction (Modular Construction), Industry Dive Webinars, 2022
- Infectious Diseases, Construction Safety Council, 2022
- Nanomaterials, Construction Safety Council, 2022
- Helmets, Construction Safety Council, 2022
- Underground Construction Safety, PDH Engineer, 2021
- Structural Renovation of Parking Garages, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2021
- Renovation of Residential Framing, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2020
- Waste and Byproduct Use in Road Construction, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2020
- Renovation of Wood Trusses, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2020
- Building Facades, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2020
- Construction Site Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2020
- Evaluation and Repair of Concrete Structures, Part I, Titan Continuing Education, May 2020
- Flexible Pavement Design, Titan Continuing Education, April 2020
- Bridge Maintenance and Repair, Titan Continuing Education, April 2020
- ASCE – Ethics Guidelines for Professional Conduct, April 2020
- An Introduction to Site Design Guidelines, Titan Continuing Education, April 2020
- HSS Specifications, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- High Performance Coating Systems, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Water Meter Design and Applications, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Forensic Structural Inspections for Building Structures, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Stormwater Management, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Engineering Ethics: Case Studies of Ethical Dilemmas, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Intro to National Fire Alarm Code, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Material Failure Mechanisms, Professional Development Seminars, September 2019
- Illinois Residential Building Codes, HalfMoon Education Inc., Lombard, Illinois, November, 2017
- Soil Mechanics, Bearing Capacity and Slope Stabilization, August 21, 2017, Lombard, IL, Half Moon Education, Inc.
- Special Inspections Under International Building Code Chapter 17, June 23, 2017, Albany, NY, Half Moon Education, Inc.
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC) requirements for special inspections of soils and foundations, concrete and masonry, structural steel, wood structures, etc.
- Repair and Rehabilitation Seminars given by Simpson Gumpertz and Heger, Chicago, IL, 2014- 2017
- Series of seminars on repair and rehabilitation of historic properties, mass masonry walls, steep slope roofs, concrete deterioration, and punched windows.
- Roofing and Plaza Repair and Rehabilitation
- Below-Grade Waterproofing Repair Approaches for Existing Buildings
- Building Enclosure and Mechanical System Upgrade – A Critical Look at Implementation Strategies
- Engineering Transparency: Innovations in Glass Design
- Critical Barriers: Controlling Heat, Air and Vapor Flow Through Building Enclosures
- Getting the Most Out of Your Buildings: Condition Assessments
- ASA Chicago Construction Expo & Safety Conference 2015
- NFPA 70E Electrical Safe Work Practices
- Use and Promotion of Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) for Dust & Fumes in Construction
- Contractor's Responsibilities According to NFPA 70E
- Structural Forensic Engineering, HalfMoon Education, September 2014, April 2019
- National Safety Council “Temporary Traffic Control in Highway Work Zones – Design and Supervision,” Two-Day Program, December 2013
- Construction Safety Council 145-Hour Construction Safety Administrator Certificate Course, May 2013
- Supported/Suspended Scaffold User Hazard Awareness
- Crane Signal Person Safety Training
- Work Zone Hazard Awareness
- Confined Space Entry
- Electrical Safety/NFPA70E
- Excavation Hazard Awareness
- Fall Protection Hazard Awareness
- Rigging Hazard Awareness
- First Aid/CPR
- OSHA 30 Hour for Construction
Professional Engineer: NCEES, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Wisconsin
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Construction Safety Committee
- “Porches, Decks, and Balconies,” Professional Development Seminars, Inc., Countryside, IL, 2015
- “Scaffolding and Scaffold Safety,” Chicago Bar Association, Real Property Law Committee, Construction Law Mechanics Lien Subcommittee, Chicago, IL, 2015
- “Structural Forensic Engineering,” HalfMoon Education, Inc., Wheaton, IL, 2014
Construction – Heavy & Highway
- Performed field-testing on soils, concrete and asphalt.
- Monitored pile driving operations.
- Performed quantity verification surveys.
- Monitored blast vibrations with seismograph.
- Sounded concrete walls to locate delaminations.
- Performed pullout testing on grouted Dywidag anchors.
- Inspected all phases of concrete delivery, placement, consolidation, protection and curing.
- Inspected placement of reinforcing steel and embedded items.
- Oversaw all inspections on bridge pier construction.
- Calculated strand elongations and monitored post-tensioning of cut & cover tunnel deck.
- Provided field inspection of mechanically stabilized earth retaining walls.
- Inspected bridge jacking and bearing material replacement.
- Managed traffic control and lane closures on bridge maintenance work.
- Coordinated bridge deck repair and expansion joint replacement.
- Worked with specialty concrete mixes including polymer-modified concrete and high performance concrete.
- Supervised reconstruction of two railroad bridges.
- Oversaw bridge jacking operations and installation of bearing bolsters.
- Oversaw sandblasting and application of paint systems, post-tensioned precast concrete planking, precast concrete bridge abutments, hot-mopped waterproofing membrane and installation of track materials.
Construction – Railroad & Rapid Transit
- Prepared quality control procedures for several rapid transit stations and platforms.
- Performed phased quality control inspections for all phases of station construction.
- Monitored structural steel repairs to 100-year-old rapid transit elevated structures.
- Coordinated surveys of existing structures with shop drawings of replacement members.
- Coordinated welding and bolt-tensioning testing.
- Oversaw all phases of station house construction.
- Inspected construction of 900 foot riverbank retaining wall with sheet piling and tie-backs.
- Inspected and provided layout for concrete masonry unit gravity retaining walls.
- Monitored soil placement and compaction.
- Oversaw asphalt paving operations.
- Inspected construction of various roofing materials including metal panel, slate shingle and EPDM membrane.
- Provided shop drawing review for all phases of railroad station construction.
- Reviewed and analyzed schedules, delay claims and contract modifications
Construction – Industrial
- Managed procurement and installation of structural steel, miscellaneous metals and precast concrete panels for experimental coal gasification plant.
- Oversaw installation of coal conveying systems.
- Managed construction of 60 ft. diameter stainless steel coal hopper. Facilitated construction by designing internal adjustable scaffolding system.
- Oversaw installation of crane runway, track and equipment.
- Managed construction of robotic window washing equipment on roof of 31 story building.
- Prepared structural steel sequencing lists for erection of automobile assembly plant.
- Maintained project cost reports by tracking production and man-hours.
Construction – Military
- Managed quality control organization for conversion of three buildings into military training facilities.
- Converted army barracks into medical clinic including dental and x-ray facilities.
- Converted post exchange store into military control center.
- Managed quality control for construction of multi-purpose interdenominational chapel for U.S. Navy.
- Managed quality control for construction of 100-room addition to Navy lodge.
Construction – Hospitality & Assisted Living
- Supervised construction of 150 room three story assisted living facility.
- Produced and maintained CPM schedule and detailed two week schedules.
- Worked with local authorities in permitting process.
- Revised foundations from spread footings to bank-poured trenches to mitigate effects of extreme cold weather and allow work to proceed.
- Designed and executed temporary heating system.
- Coordinated mechanical, electrical, fire protection and plumbing systems through equipment rooms, common spaces and apartment units.
- Planned and enacted logistics plans including access roads, crane pads, material loading and disposal, trailer locations, utilities, etc.
- Participated in Illinois Department of Public Health inspections. Demonstrated compliance with all requirements.
- Supervised rough-in and installation of food service equipment for commercial kitchen.
- Oversaw installation of wood fiber-cement siding (Hardi-plank).
- Created punch lists and monitored completion.
- Participated in occupancy inspections with local building authorities.
- Coordinated extensive utility work, site work, landscaping and paving.
- Managed quality control for construction of 100-room addition to Navy lodge.
- Oversaw installation of EIFS (Dryvit) system as well as structural steel framing, precast concrete decking and interior finishes.
- Coordinated all MEP rough-in.
- Demonstrated compliance with Navy specifications with naval personnel.
Construction – Educational
- Supervised construction of new $14 million middle school.
- Work included gymnasium flooring and equipment, science lab furniture and equipment, load-bearing masonry with precast concrete plank, wood trusses and asphalt shingle roof.
- Underwent full OSHA inspection with no violations noted. No lost-time accidents reported.
- Supervised additions and remodeling of high school.
- Retrofitted elevator in athletic department for ADA compliance.
- Built upgrades and additions to 40% of school within six month period.
- Constructed stadium bleachers, drivers’ education classrooms, science laboratories, industrial arts shops, and other features.
- Oversaw foundation underpinning operation.
Construction – Theaters
- Supervised construction of Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
- Structural work involved epoxy anchoring base plates to face of existing concrete parking garage walls and coordinating survey data of plate locations with structural steel fabricator.
- Revisions to parking garage included shoring, unstressing tendons cutting floor openings and restressing tendons.
- Interior work involved construction of fly galleries, catwalks, tiered seating, thrust stage and MEP coordination.
- Exterior work involved scalloped glass curtain wall.
- Supervised construction of one square block theater/retail complex.
- Project contained buildout of 18 movie theaters and various retail establishments.
- Oversaw construction of 100 caissons, concrete grade beams and piers, structural steel frame, glass, metal panel, precast concrete and masonry exterior enclosure, stadium seating, acoustically constructed wallboard partitions, food service and interior finishes.
Construction – Stadiums
- Supervised remodeling work at professional football stadium in preparation for the World Cup soccer matches.
- Oversaw partial demolition and reconstruction of multiple toilet rooms and offices.
- Oversaw structural repairs to elevated concrete slabs.
- Constructed steel and timber cofferdams around existing wood pile caps to allow for dewatering, inspection and construction of larger pile caps.
- Coordinated plumbing and mechanical and electrical trades.
- Created and maintained CPM schedules.
- Assisted in the supervision for the $240 million reconstruction horse racing facility.
- Monitored assembly and erection of 120 ft. cantilevered trusses over grandstand area.
- Coordinated and inspected waterproofing of precast concrete stadium risers, seating, mullion-free glazing, timber paddock structures, standing seam roofing, EPDM-lined gutters, fireproofing, sitework, brick masonry, interior finishes.
- Supervised miscellaneous concrete crew in layout and placement of knee walls, curbs, etc.
Construction – Convention Center
- Provided field construction management services on $350 million convention center addition.
- Oversaw construction of elevators, escalators, exterior aluminum curtain wall, fireproofing, 550,000 SF of EPDM roofing.
- Oversaw application of waterproofing membrane on structural concrete decks.
- Monitored construction of concrete pylons and roof support cable suspension system.
- Monitored construction of exterior elevated walkway that connected several buildings over an existing highway.
- Project was constructed over fill soils and included 1000 belled caissons.
- Monitored spray-on fireproofing and application of intumescent mastic fireproofing.
- Oversaw construction of precast panels through soffited railroad area through building.
- Monitored interior finishes including gypsum column covers, terrazzo flooring, acoustical ceilings, painting, etc.
Residential Construction & Inspection
- Assessed physical condition of existing homes.
- Evaluated condition of foundations, framing, HVAC, electrical, roofing and interiors.
- Represented homeowners in construction of homes and additions.
- Represented lending institutions in verification of value of work performed for building trades’ payouts.
- Performed topographic surveys and provided grading and drainage plans.